Category Archives: vCenter Server

VUM Challenges During vCenter 6.5 Upgrade

After procrastinating for a while, I finally started the upgrade process in my home lab to go from vSphere 6.0 to 6.5. The PSC upgrade was smooth, but I hit a roadblock when I started the upgrade process on the vCenter Server appliance.

After going through some of the first steps in the process, I ran into the following error when trying to connect to the source appliance.

vumupgrade-1

The exact text of the error reads:

“Unable to retrieve the migration assistant extension on source vCenter Server. Make sure migration assistant is running on the VUM server.”

I had forgotten that I even had Update Manager deployed. Because my lab is small, I generally applied updates manually to my hosts via the CLI. What I do remember, however, is being frustrated that I had to deploy a full-scale Windows VM to run the Update Manager service.

Continue reading

Boosting vSphere Web Client Performance in ‘Tiny’ Deployments

In my home lab, I’ve been pretty happy with the vCenter Server ‘Tiny’ appliance deployment size. For the most part, vSphere Web Client performance has been decent and the appliance doesn’t need a lot of RAM or vCPUs.

When I most recently upgraded my lab, I considered using a ‘Small’ deployment but really didn’t want to tie up 16GB of memory – especially with only a small handful of hosts and many services offloaded to an external PSC

Although things worked well for the most part, I had recently been getting vCenter alarms and would get occasional periods of slow refreshes and other oddities.

vsphereclientmem-1

One of two alarms triggering frequently in my lab environment.

The two specific alarms were service health status alarms with the following text strings associated:

The vmware-dataservice-sca status changed from green to yellow

I’d also see this accompanied by a similar message referring to the vSphere Web Client:

The vsphere-client status changed from green to yellow

After doing some searching online, I quickly found VMware KB 2144950 on the subject. Although the cause of this seems pretty clear – insufficient memory allocation to the vsphere-client service – the workaround steps outlined in the KB are lacking context and could use some elaboration.

Continue reading